PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet potato/garnet yam chopped into 1/2“ cubes
- 2 bell peppers (any color combo) chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 can (15 oz per can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz. per can) diced fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1/2 fresh pineapple chopped, or more to taste
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted, sliced or chopped
- fresh parsley for garnish
Cajun Spice Mix:
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- CITRUS MIX:
- 1 tbsp sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange juice
- Add sweet potatoes to a microwave safe dish along with 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the Citrus Mix in a small bowl. Set aside.
- While the chicken is still on the cutting board, pat it very dry. Mix together the Cajun Spice Mix in a small bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon Mix (for potatoes/beans) and add remaining Mix to the chicken. Toss until evenly coated.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken in an even layer and let cook undisturbed for 1-2 minutes/until seared. Flip chicken over and cook another 1-2 minutes until seared then add 2 tablespoons Citrus Mix. Reduce heat to medium-high and continue to cook and stir until chicken is cooked through, approximately 2 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet. Add one tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon Citrus Mix and heat over medium high heat. Add sweet potatoes, bell pepper and 1/2 tablespoon Cajun Spice Mix. Stir until evenly combined then pat into a single layer. Let cook approximately 2 minutes, until potatoes begin to char then continue to cook another 1-2 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, remaining Citrus Mix and remaining Cajun Mix to skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 2 minutes until warmed through.
- Divide black beans/tomatoes, chicken and potatoes/peppers between 4 bowls (more or less) along with avocado, pineapple and fresh parsley.